Excelsior Springs is home to four National Register districts. Our picks for must sees on your visit to Excelsior Springs include:
The Hall of Waters, located at 201 E. Broadway, was built as a Federal Public Works Administration project for a cost of $10 million in 1936. Four distinct varieties of water were available at the world’s longest water bar, including calcium, sodium, sulfo-saline, and iron manganese. The building features unique Art Deco detailing and is listed individually on the National Register. Our Visitor Center is located inside the Hall, open Monday through Saturday 10 am to 4:45 pm and Sunday 11 am to 4 pm. A free tour of the spa bath department is available.
Clay County State Bank, located at 101 E. Broadway, built of Bedford stone for a cost of $25,000 in 1894, was designed by Louis S. Curtiss, and is known as one of the most artistic bank buildings in Missouri. The building contains a painting on the south wall which is a copy of “The Gleaners” and one on the north wall known as “The Angelus”. They are considered to be invaluable. The bank building today houses the Excelsior Springs Historic Museum and Archives.
The Elms Hotel, located on Regent street, is the third Elms Hotel, built in 1912. It was designed by prominent Kansas City architects Jackson and McIlvain in the Tudor revival style. Important visitors to the hotel included oil magnate Harry Sinclair, artist Thomas Hart Benton, and TV personality Dave Garroway, as well as several known gangsters. President Harry Truman spent the 1948 election night at the Elms. Check with the hotel for guided tours or to book a visit to the spa.
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, corner Regent and St. Louis Ave., is a virtually intact example of a Gothic Revival “country” church. Designed by Kansas City architect George M. Siemens, the land was donated for the church by Major W.A.J. Bell of England. Major Bell arranged for a finely carved stone from the 15th century, which had been removed during remodeling of his parish church in England, to be shipped to the congregation in Excelsior Springs. It is incorporated into the interior wall on the west side of the nave. Dedication for the church was held in 1933.
We are also minutes from Watkins Mill State Historic Site and Park and the Jesse James Farm Home and Museum.